Patchwork for Beginners
Throughout history, people have been distinguished by their creative abilities, realizing them in the most diverse spheres of life - from masterpieces of art canvases to simple elements of everyday life. One example of artistic craftsmanship in everyday life is patchwork. What is patchwork? And how to create things in patchwork technique? You will learn about this after reading our article.
What is patchwork
Quilting is one of the types of needlework in which small pieces of fabric are sewn together and form a large cloth. Initially, the technique was used to repair worn items. Over time, turned into an art form, common in many countries of the world. Some original examples of patchwork sewing can be seen in museum collections. Also unusual motifs were preserved with things, handed down from generation to generation.
Man uses his potential and imagination to create new fabric designs. Initially, patchwork was used when sewing insulated clothing. The pattern is repeated throughout the fabrication.Patchwork was used in the manufacture of bags, skirts, tapestries. In the past, this method of disposing of worn-out clothes into warm blankets helped many to survive in the cold. Traditionally, patchwork was done by hand. And now the canvas is made using a sewing machine.
Types and techniques
This sewing is well organized and uses repetitive patterns to create a large canvas. There are many different styles.
- Plain patchwork- involves the creation of a geometric pattern or ornament. Suitable for sewing blankets, kitchen tacks, etc. It has a front side and lining.
- Crazy Patchwork- allows the use of a variety of colorful fabrics with the creation of arbitrary patterns. Sewing is usually decorated with embroidery, decorated with beads, ribbons and lace.
- Knitted patchwork- pieces of fabric are connected using contrasting threads and hooks.
- Quilting patchworkis arbitrary, is a sewing with the help of pieces of fabric of various shapes and sizes. Very often the finished product is additionally decorated with embroidery, applications and other accents, depending on the preferences of the master.
Despite the fact that the days of deep depression and total savings have passed, many women continue to be interested in the patchwork technique. It is not necessary to be in dire need so that, armed with tools, turn to sewing really beautiful things for the home. Quilting allows you to create unusual objects from the most ordinary pieces of fabric.
How to learn the technique of patchwork
For those who are interested and want to try the patchwork technique, it is better to start with sewing simple products. First you have to create a database of images in your head. To do this, just browse the thematic sites on the patchwork, finished work, study the techniques of manufacturing, create simple templates. Particularly interesting samples in the patchwork technique can be collected in a separate folder. Over time, patchwork will touch a mere trifle. Patchwork for beginner masters is an excellent field to "fill" the hand and move on to more complex motives. The first works are usually created using simple templates. Step-by-step master class makes it easy to perform trial patchwork.
In the process of preparation, it is advisable to clarify whether there are scraps, how much and what pieces of fabric.In the absence of such, or in the case of insufficient quantities, you can purchase a special fabric for patchwork. It is a densified, hypoallergenic cotton that does not burn in the sun.
For the very first work it is necessary to choose a simple scheme for sewing technique from squares. Patchwork for beginners is especially preferable, since it does not require any special skills or professional devices. It is enough to arm yourself with ordinary scissors and a needle with a thread. The template can be made of ordinary paper, and the product will turn out beautiful and original.
At the preparatory stage, you need to create a sketch, and on its basis - the scheme and patterns. The sketch is the figure that indicated the color solutions of the product. Patchwork patches will be cut out according to the paper template.
Suitable types of fabrics
Natural fabrics are most suitable for sewing. The most commonly used cotton and linen. Look great shreds of wool and silk. If necessary, semi-synthetic fabrics can be used. Shreds of dense fabrics, such as drapes, are used when sewing plaids, bedspreads, and rugs.
It is important to learn how to combine the fabric.The style of the product and sewing in the patchwork technique certainly unite, but it is important to ensure that when using the thing was not uncomfortable. Silk is most suitable for artistic panels.
Step by Step Patchwork for Beginners
Usually in every home there is a mass of T-shirts that have long gone out of fashion or have lost their presentable appearance. It is not possible to use them for their intended purpose, but you can give them a second life with the help of the patchwork technique. Step-by-step scheme will show how to sew a patchwork quilt from old T-shirts with interesting prints and photos.
First you have to sort out t-shirts. It is necessary to determine how many of them can be used in sewing, what size the product will turn out, how they fit together in color and texture. You can make a template according to the size of the smallest T-shirt. Scraps of novice craftsmen are better to do the same size. It is necessary to cut out squares from suitable copies. The preferred size of the side of the square is 35 cm. At will and for less fuss it can be increased to 45 cm. If the size of the T-shirts does not allow, then 25 cm is enough.
It is important to determine the parameters of the blanket.If this is a children's blanket, then the parameters 42Х72 will do, and it means that you need 12 to 15 T-shirts for sewing. For an average blanket of size 81x96, 48 to 63 products will have to be used. A quilt size 102X110 will require about a hundred T-shirts. If such a number of T-shirts is not available, then you can use the additional unnecessary shirts available for sewing or any other fabric suitable for the patchwork. All shreds are cut out in one pattern.
Selecting the scheme, you can stay at the most simple, and you can make your own creative.
You can use a different scheme:
On a note! It should be stipulated that shirts should be washed, but without the use of air conditioners. It is better to iron them through gauze so as not to spoil the picture. At the same time the fabric should be perfectly flat. This is a pledge to create a really beautiful thing.
Square panels are cut using a template with 0.5 cm allowances. The parts need to be sewn on one side, folding them with the front part. Having decided on the scheme, it remains to follow it and sew a truly original homemade blanket from improvised means in the patchwork technique.
Patchwork master class for beginners
As the ability to create things with their own hands has recently become popular, many women have paid attention to the patchwork technique. It allows you to create amazing things by experienced craftsmen, and is easy for beginners. A variety of things that can be sewn in the patchwork technique is really great. Those who are just beginning to get involved in this interesting type of needlework will be happy to receive a step-by-step master class for beginners. We will consider all stages of making a quilt. In general, you can decorate with shreds any thing.
Quilt patchwork is manufactured using:
- a set of fabrics;
- transparent ruler;
- cutting mat;
- rotary knife;
- sharp scissors;
- needles with heads;
- paper template;
- needles, thread, sewing machine.
A sample can be selected on special Internet resources, or invented independently.
After the future quilt is formed in the mind, you can proceed to manufacture.
- We cut the available fabric with a shablona into pieces of 15-30 cm in size. This is a platform for patchwork blocks, each of which will have to be worked on separately.So it's much easier for beginners to work on a whole blanket.
- It is necessary to wash and iron the fabric. In this case, the quilt in the finished form will not present unpleasant surprises in the form of fading or shrinkage. The desired shapes are cut using a paper template. It is important to leave allowances for seams not less than 6 mm. once all the pieces are ready you can lay them on the floor in the intended pattern. So you can estimate the aesthetic appeal of the future product.
- Now it's time to stitch the details. Fold them face down and swipe from one side.
- We make the whole block, which is a square part of the whole patchwork design. Once all the blocks are ready, we connect them together in accordance with the figure. This is the top of the quilt. It is very important to carefully iron the seams after the machine stitches are laid. As a rule, professionals tend to conduct wet-heat treatment immediately after grinding, until the fabric takes the wrong shape.
- It is necessary to prepare the back of the blanket and the batting that will be laid between them.Both the lining and the gasket must be the same size as the front side. It is necessary to fold their corner to the corner and fasten it temporarily with needles.
- Having picked up the threads of a suitable color, you need to flash all three layers along the perimeter of the blocks, or along the entire surface.
- Putting the fastener, which will not let the seam spread, you need to prepare an edging for the product. To do this, cut four individual strips with a width of about 12 cm and a length equal to the length of the side of the product, leaving a 25 mm allowance.
- Fold the edgeband with the blanket facing down and bend and iron for 6 cm. The other part of the ribbon will also wrap the seamy side of the blanket. It is possible to lay a seam inside the tape on the front side, so that it will be closed after the tape spreads to the wrong side. In this case, from the inside out, lower the edge by 0.5 mm. There will have a line, which it is desirable to lay on the front side to monitor the ingress into the seam. Thus, all four sides are processed and the patchwork can be considered ready.
Step-by-step master class allows you to make a product of any complexity, although it is still better to start with simple diagrams. With each new thing made in the technique of patchwork, skill and self-confidence grows.After several successful items, the craftswomen are trying to sew unusual things. original wallets, cases for gadgets, cosmetic bags amaze the imagination and force new models.