How to uninstall/remove Mackeeper from macbook
How to Uninstall MacKeeper
This wikiHow teaches you how to uninstall the MacKeeper program, as well as how to remove its remaining files from your computer and Safari browser.
Removing MacKeeper from the Menu Bar
Open the Finder.It's a blue face icon in your dock, which is the row of apps typically found at the bottom of the screen.
ClickApplications.This option is in the sidebar on the left side of the Finder window.
Open MacKeeper.It's a white and blue robot icon in the Applications folder.
ClickMacKeeper.It's the left-most option in the menu bar at the top of your Mac's screen. Doing so will invoke a drop-down menu.
ClickPreferences.This option should be toward the bottom of the drop-down menu.
Click theGeneraltab.It's near the top of the Preferences window.
Uncheck the "Show MacKeeper icon in menu bar" box.This box is at the bottom of the General page. The MacKeeper icon will no longer display in your Mac's menu bar.
Close the Preferences window.To do so, click the red circle in the top-left corner of the window.
ClickMacKeeper.It's in the top-left corner of your Mac's screen.
Click .Doing so will quit MacKeeper.
Click and drag the MacKeeper icon over to the Trash.The Trash app is on the far-right side of your Mac's dock.
- The MacKeeper icon is in the same place (the Applications folder) as when you first opened it.
Drop MacKeeper in the trash.Simply removing your finger from the mouse will accomplish this. You should see a pop-up window from MacKeeper appear.
- You may have to enter your administrator account password and clickOKbefore the pop-up window appears.
ClickUninstall MacKeeper.It's in the top-right corner of the pop-up window.
Wait for MacKeeper to finish uninstalling.Once it does, the base program will be completely gone from your Mac; unfortunately, lingering MacKeeper files can still impact your Mac use, so you'll need to remove those next.
Deleting Residual Files
Re-open the Finder if you closed it.
Click the menu item.It's in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
ClickGo to Folder.This option is at the bottom of theGodrop-down menu. Clicking it will invoke a text field.
Type in/Library/Application Support/, then click .This command will take you to the Application Support folder, which is where the residual MacKeeper folder is stored.
Locate the "MacKeeper Helper" folder.It's somewhere in the Application Support folder.
- If you don't see this folder in the Application Support folder, the process of uninstalling MacKeeper also deleted the folder.
Use two fingers to click the "MacKeeper Helper" folder.Doing so will prompt a drop-down menu.
- You can also hold downCommandand click the folder to prompt this menu.
ClickMove to Trash.This option is at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
Click when prompted.Doing so will remove this folder from the Application Support folder.
Look for any remaining MacKeeper files.While the uninstall process typically removes most MacKeeper files, check the following locations for the pertaining files by using theGo to Folderfunction you used earlier:
- /Library/Caches/- Delete the "com.mackeeper.MacKeeper" and/or "com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.Helper" file(s) if either of them are here.
- /Library/LaunchAgents/- Delete the "com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.Helper.plist" file if it's here.
- /Library/LaunchDaemons/- Delete the "com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon.plist" file if it's here.
Use two fingers to click the Trash.A pop-up menu will appear.
ClickEmpty Trash.It's an option in the pop-up menu.
ClickEmpty Trashwhen prompted.This will rid your Mac of all files stored in the Trash, including the MacKeeper folder(s).
Removing MacKeeper from Safari
Open Safari if it isn't already open.This will allow you to change your Safari settings from the menu bar.
- If Safari is open but overflowing with ads, you can force-quit it by pressingCommand+Option+Esc, clickingSafariin the pop-up menu, and clickingForce Quit. You'll then hold downShiftwhile opening Safari to prevent the ads from appearing on your current tab.
ClickSafari.This menu item is in the top-left corner of the screen.
ClickPreferences.It's toward the top of the drop-down menu.
Click theExtensionstab.This option is near the top-right side of the Preferences window.
- If you see a message that says "Extensions can be enabled in the Develop menu" here, click theAdvancedtab to the right and then click the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" box. This will force your extensions to display in theExtensionstab.
Remove any extensions you didn't personally install.One of MacKeeper's more nefarious alterations to your system comes in the form of extensions it adds without your permission. To remove an extension, select it by clicking it, then clickRemove.
Click thePrivacytab.It's to the left of theExtensionstab you're currently on.
Click the search bar and type inmac.The search bar is in the upper-right side of thePrivacytab; typing "mac" in here will scan for any cookies that start with "mac", which will most likely comprise of MacKeeper cookies.
ClickRemove All.It's in the bottom-left side of thePrivacytab. Doing so will remove any MacKeeper temporary browsing files from your Safari browser, thereby preventing MacKeeper ads from disrupting your browsing experience.
Restart your Mac.To do so, click the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen and then clickRestart.... When your computer restarts, you shouldn't see any MacKeeper announcements or advertising on your Mac's desktop or within the Safari browser.
- If the steps here are too time-consuming to follow, you can always download the new version of Adware Medic (now known as "Malwarebytes") from and have it scan your computer for malware. It will pick up any traces of MacKeeper and allow you to remove them simply by checking the MacKeeper file(s) and then clickingRemove Selected Items.
- Simply uninstalling MacKeeper will likely not be enough to truly remove it from your Mac.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Français: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Português: , Español:
Video: How To Completely Uninstall MacKeeper From Any Mac! (2017 / 2018 Easy Tutorial)
17 Morning Stretches That Will Jumpstart Your Body and Mind
Mark Bittman’s Vegan Red Lentils with Roasted Cauliflower
How Many Animals Are In Your Meds
Best Strategies to Burn Fat When Working Out
So You Want to Buy a Juicer Let Us Talk You Through the Basics
Il pennello per il trucco fatto di capelli umani è lultima trovata WTF dellinternet
How to Go Sledding Without Breaking Your Neck
4-Week Total Body Workout Calendar
Daily Pulse: Being An Info Junkie Is Good For You
Rugrats Reptar Bars Are Back for the Holidays to Turn Your Tongue Green
Sick of Calorie-Counting
The Not So Happy Pill
10 Genius New Ways to Organize Your Home