FEEDING YOUR CHRISTMAS CAKE
How to Store a Christmas Cake
Christmas cakes are often made well ahead of the Christmas season. Not only does this save time when the busy season descends upon us, it also serves to improve the taste of the cake. As with wine, fruit cakes improve in taste as they age. And often not all of the Christmas cake gets eaten at Christmas time and this leaves the need to keep it longer. This article explains how to store a Christmas cake, whether it be prior to or after the Christmas occasion.
Wrap your cake in cheesecloth / muslin that has been marinated in brandy, rum, wine or fruit juice.
Wrap it in aluminium foil.
Place the wrapped cake into an airtight container.If you do not have an airtight container, you can substitute plastic wrap if necessary.
Keep the cake in a dry and cool place.
QuestionCan I freeze a fruit cake?Community AnswerYes. For best results, wrap it well with cling film, then put it in a Ziplock bag or wrap it again with foil and store it in the freezer (usually for up to 6 months, though this dependes on the temperature of your freezer).Thanks!
QuestionWhat is grease proof paper?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is also known as parchment paper or baking paper depending on what region you are in.Thanks!
QuestionCan Christmas cakes be frozen?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you plan to freeze it right after you make it, go for it. But, don't keep it there for too long, because even a frozen cake will go old.Thanks!
QuestionDoes this apply to an iced cake?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, it does.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I keep my Christmas cake from going moldy?Macey R.Community AnswerYou can try to wrap it up in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer. When you want to eat it, take it out and let the cake sit for about 30-40 minutes to thaw out.Thanks!
What's the right quantity of gin to add to a cake mixture in order for it to serve as a preservative? How long can a cake last when gin is used as a preservative?
How long a wait until fresh fruit cake can be tasted?
Can I wrap a Christmas cake in parchment?
How can I store an iced Christmas cake?
How do I store an iced cake?
- If you want to keep the cake for a very long time, it is helpful to reinvigorate the cheesecloth with a new infusion of rum, juice or brandy every month, taking care to rewrap the cake as outlined above.
- A good quality apple left in the container with a stored fruit cake helps to keep the moisture in the cake. Change regularly if you are keeping the cake for a long time.
- Greaseproof paper is an alternative to cheesecloth if preferred. Obviously, this does not need marinating in liquid but you should still sprinkle juice or alcohol over the cake prior to wrapping. For this method, use two layers of grease-proof paper and then wrap with aluminium foil.Place in an airtight container.
- Avoid the refrigerator! This can result in crystallised sugar.
- Be careful not to let aluminium foil touch the cake directly; if the cake has alcohol in it, it will pit the foil and cause reactions that can affect the cake's flavour.
- Keep an eye on the cake as the months go by; whenever it seems to be drying out, follow the Tip on adding more liquid or you may end up with a very dry and undesirable cake.
Video: Ho to keep your Christmas Cake moist
THE CHEAT DAYS THAT INSPIRED THE 10,000 CALORIE CHALLENGE
How to Have a Clique RolePlaying Blog
How to Set Up Skullcandy Headset
The 17 Best Matte Lipsticks That Won’t Dry Out YourLips
How to Act Like Beca from Pitch Perfect
11 Cold And Flu Remedies That Actually Work
And be mindful about eating
6 Yoga Poses for Stronger Running
10 Summer 2019 Makeup Products To Pull Off The Best Beauty Trends
How to Write a Research Proposal
These Time-Lapse Videos Mark the Kardashians Changing Face Shapes
Hello Kitty Big Pink Bow Summer 2012 Collection
I’m An Activist Stripper’
Roland Mouret’s SpringSummer 2019 Collection Focuses on Architectural Designs