How to replace the background in Photoshop?
Watch the video
Often, novice Photoshop users are set to replace the background image. Someone wants to make an interesting collage, but someone is just interested in experimenting with photos of themselves and friends. Consider a universal way of separating an image from the background with a quick selection and mask. The instruction is based on the use of the English version of Photoshop CS6.
Replace the background in Photoshop
- To begin with, you will need two images: one with the subject to be cut and the second with the new background. Consider how to replace the background in Photoshop, and the image of the girl to impose on the picture with a fabulous forest.
- Open the photo of the girl and with the help of the Quick Selection Tool, approximately select it along the contour by holding down the left mouse button. If you hold the Alt key, then the selection will be deleted - so you can adjust the border of the image.
- Go to the Select menu and click Inverse. This will invert the selection for the mask.
- Click the Quick Mask Mode tool and the image of the girl becomes red.The task is to ensure that only those parts that will be transferred to the new background are under the mask. To do this, select the Brush Tool and use the black color to add a selection where it is needed, and remove the white one. Particular care should be taken when handling such fine details as hair, clothes folds, fingers, etc. Working with a mask is more difficult than just replacing the background online, but the selection is perfectly clear.
- Again click on the Quick Mask, remove the mask and look at the result. After processing in mask mode, the selection becomes much clearer than when working with Quick Selection.
- Open the Layers menu (Window - Layers) and click on the lock icon - now the image layer is unlocked. It remains only to press Delete on the keyboard and the extra background will be deleted.
- It is possible that after such processing fragments of the old background will remain. They can be cleaned with the Eraser tool (eraser), and the final correction will be performed later.
- Now the most interesting thing is to open a picture with a new background and just drag it with the mouse to the image with the girl. It should be a new layer that we move under the image.
- Most often, the size of the new background does not fit the image.Therefore, it should be corrected. To do this, we become a mouse on the layer with the background, press the key combination ctrl + t and, pulling the corners of the picture, adjust the width and height.
- Then we move the image of the girl so that it fits into the composition.
- In conclusion, we remove small remnants of the old background; this can be done either with an eraser or with the Magic Wand tool (magic wand).