How to make a cast?
Ready-made kits are now becoming very popular with young parents, allowing them to make any cast to leave it as a pleasant souvenir. This idea is really interesting and original and will not require any special skills for its implementation. Using ready-made materials, you can quickly and easily make a cast of a child’s feet or arms. But you can do it from scrap materials. So how to make a mold for memory?
- We make a print of the handle or leg of the child. To do this, prepare salted dough. Take: 1 glass of salt, water, 2 glasses of any flour, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or hand cream (it will be better to add PVA or wallpaper glue). It is advantageous to prepare more dough so that you would get a greater number of casts, and there was something to choose from. We make dough from these components by rolling it 1–1.6 cm thick (preferably on the baking sheet right away in order not to shift it later). Now you can make a cast of the handle and make a cast of the foot of your baby. After the dough, bake in the oven at low temperature for 1.5-2.5 hours.
- We fill in forms of prints. Here you will need a plaster mix. You can take an ordinary plaster putty (you can buy at the hardware store). Now you have prints of the legs or hands of your baby from salted dough, after they cool down after the oven, grease all forms with Vaseline. Next, mix the plaster mix (or putty) with water (until the thickness of sour cream) and pour into the form. After all this dries out 12-24 hours, if you use gypsum. If used putty, then it will dry in 3-4 days. Next, carefully remove the resulting casts of molds.
- The primer or polishing of the molds. The logs are rough and must be polished (it is possible with a nail file), very carefully so as not to damage the lines of children's feet and pens. Or you can prime (mix the plaster with water, moisten a finger in it and cover the surface irregularities).
- Decorating. All your fantasy will help you here. You can paint casts with acrylic silver paint, and as a background to apply a photo of a child, making it in Photoshop.
- Take a measuring cup, a plastic container, a fork, and a mold for modeling.An ordinary bowl is suitable as a form. When you purchase a kit for making impressions, you will find a bag with a 3D gel. Pour 100 g of material into a bowl and prepare 160 ml of cool water. The cooler the liquid when diluted with a gel, the longer it will freeze.
- We wait until the child falls asleep, so that the process of taking the impression does not frighten or disturb him, and we pour powder into the powder. Mix well with a fork or a whisk until you get a uniform consistency without lumps. Take the capacity of the edge and knock the bottom of the surface of a chair or table. This will eliminate air bubbles in the mixture.
- While the gel is not hardened, you can make casts of the arms and legs of the child. After some time, the solution will harden.
- The hardening time depends on the temperature of the water in which you stirred it. After curing, carefully remove the gel forms from the hands and feet of the child.
- In a small plastic container, dissolve the gypsum powder in water and mix with a fork. The solution should acquire the viscosity of liquid sour cream and be lump free. Carefully pour the gypsum solution into the mold.
- Gently tap the bottom of the form on the table.Pour two molds and wait half an hour until it is completely frozen. You can check the degree of hardening of the gypsum with your hand — when it freezes, the plaster heats up.
- Turn the forms upside down and remove the casts. To get a more accurate look, sand the roughness of the roughness with fine sandpaper, then polish the figure and wipe the dust with a brush or cloth.
- The made molds can be painted with varnish, attached with superglue to the base and framed.