How to make a capacitor?
Watch the video
The inventor lives in the soul of each of us, and therefore radio amateurs are quite a popular hobby. Independent production of radio components is one of the most interesting components of this hobby. This article will tell you how to make a capacitor with your own hands at home.
For the manufacture of the capacitor we need:
- papyrus paper
The foil does not need additional preparation, but with the help of the last three components we have to make waxed paper.
So, materials are prepared, we get down to work:
- We heat the paraffin and gently process the papyrus paper.
- We fold it into an "accordion", the width of each section of which is about 30 mm. The number of accordion layers determines the capacitance of the capacitor, each layer corresponds to approximately 100 pF.
- In each section we put a piece of foil with an area of 30 by 45 mm.
- We fold the harmonica and iron it with a warm iron.
- That's it, the capacitor is ready! Pieces of foil that look out are the connecting contacts of our capacitor, through which it can be included in the circuit.
We got the simplest household capacitor, while it is worth noting that the thicker and better the foil, the more high-voltage it will be. However, we draw your attention to make a capacitor at home with your own hands that can withstand more than 50 kV, it is better not to try. Amateur Professionals advise you to use lamination bags as dielectric if you wish to get close to this value, but you will need a laminator to heat them.