How to insert page numbers?
In the text editor Microsoft Word, you can enter page numbers in several ways. On setting the page numbering using the "Page Number" button in the "Insert" menu, we told in the article How to number pages in Word. Today we will talk about how to insert page numbers using headers and footers.
Headers and footers call areas that are at the top or bottom of each page of a document. They are used in cases where it is not enough to simply insert page numbers in the Word. Headers and footers allow you to add to the page numbers such important information as the number or title of the chapter, the total number of pages in the document or a link to the file.
Footer numbering insertion: instruction
- To start working with headers and footers, double-click the left mouse button in the top or bottom of the page. This will open the "Designer" tab in the "Working with headers and footers" section.
- In the left corner of the "Constructor" tab is the "Page Number" element.Use it to select the desired format and location of the page number (top, bottom, or in the margins).
- In voluminous documents, the page number is often accompanied by the number of the chapter or section to which the page belongs. To set such a numbering format, expand the elements "Page number" and "Format page numbers", and then in the appeared tab, activate the option "Enable chapter number". Choose a style that marks the headings of your sections, as well as a separator that will stand between the section number and the page number.
- In this tab, you can specify the number from which the numbering of pages in your document will begin. To do this, set the "Page Numbering" switch to the "Start with" position and select the desired number.
- Sometimes you want to skip the page number on the first page of the document, as it is the title page. To do this, select the “Special first page footer” option in the “Designer” tab. Now the number will not be displayed on the title page, while the numbering of the remaining pages will remain the same.