How to get rid of heartburn at home
Many people consider heartburn simply an unpleasant sensation behind the sternum and in the oral cavity, but this is only the tip of the iceberg. The presence of a symptom indicates the ingestion of acidic stomach contents into the pharynx and esophagus. It is important to know how to get rid of heartburn at home quickly.
If the phenomenon is repeated often, the inflammatory process develops in the upper pathways of the digestive system. Under the influence of an acidic environment, the cells change, which ultimately leads to a narrowing of the esophagus and even to a cancerous disease.
In the article I will describe popular folk and medical techniques that help to quickly cope with heartburn at home.Remember, methods temporarily solve the problem, do not eliminate the cause and do not prevent the development of the pathological process. Only the gastroenterologist can find out the root cause of the problem and choose the optimal method of solution. Therefore, with frequent relapses, a visit to a doctor is mandatory.
The main symptom of heartburn is burning in the chest. The overwhelming majority of people face this problem. This is not all the symptoms. Often, the discomfort-bringing burning is accompanied by other symptoms. I think it makes sense to divide people into categories, as in each case, heartburn manifests itself in a different way.
Heartburn Symptoms in Adults
- Sour eructation.
- Difficult swallowing.
- Flatulence, nausea, disturbed stool.
- Enhanced salivation.
- Sensation of a lump in the throat.
- Bad appetite, fatigue.
In one case, heartburn disappears in a few minutes, in the other, it torments a few hours. This is due to the cause of the occurrence. Often, the problem manifests itself within an hour after the meal, and its symptoms increase when the person leans, lies down, or is subjected to physical exertion.
Heartburn Symptoms in Pregnant Women
Symptoms of heartburn during pregnancy is specific. Regardless of the gestation period, it is accompanied by discomfort and a number of unpleasant sensations, including:
- Burning in the abdominal area.
- Burning in chest and throat.
- Acid and bitterness in the mouth.
- An unpleasant burp.
- Pain when bending, lying down and walking.
Typically, such symptoms result from a violation of the usual diet, the introduction of new foods in the diet that violate the acid balance. In this case, allowed to independently deal with the scourge at home. But there are symptoms that indicate that heartburn is in disrepair. The list of symptoms listed:
- A sore throat.
- Pulling back pain.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Stomach upset.
- Stomach ache.
In the presence of such symptoms, it is recommended to consult a doctor, and the fight against heartburn with advertised drugs is prohibited.The use of certain medications may harm the child and provoke irreparable consequences.
Heartburn Symptoms in Children
To determine the presence of heartburn in a child is difficult, because he can not describe the discomfort with words. Doctors recommend caring parents to track changes in the behavior of the child.
With heartburn baby:
- Cries after a meal. Crying causes a burning sensation in the chest.
- Toddler worried belching. There is a complaint of nausea.
- The child shows that it hurts in the tummy or in the throat.
- The child has a bad mood. Due to great discomfort, he does not sleep well.
If you notice such changes in the baby’s behavior, show him to the doctor. Only the doctor can determine the reason for the changes. On this depends the correctness and effectiveness of the treatment.
Folk remedies for heartburn
According to statistics, about 40 percent of the planet's population is affected by heartburn. In one case, it is temporary, and in the other case it is permanent. Regardless, the problem is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms and needs an urgent solution.
If you have heartburn, do not rush to buy special drugs, because there are proven folk remedies that normalize the acidity of the stomach. I will consider effective folk remedies that will help to quickly solve the problem without pills at home.
- .A publicly available tool that provides quick effects. In a glass of warm water, dissolve a pinch of soda and slowly drink the resulting composition, making a few sips a minute. This is a temporary solution to the problem, which is recommended as an emergency aid.With frequent relapses, I do not recommend the abuse of soda.
- Potato juice. To solve the problem, for one decade in the morning on an empty stomach, drink half a glass of potato juice half an hour before breakfast. After 10 days, take a break for two weeks, and then repeat the course.
- Herbal Infusion. In a glass jar vsypte a tablespoon of plantain, chamomile and St. John's wort, pour a glass of boiling water, make the tincture. Take the remedy 20 minutes before meals three times a day.
- Buckwheat. Fry buckwheat in a frying pan without adding oil until a dark brown shade is obtained. Crush the roasted grits in a mortar and pass through a sieve. Take the powder three times a day at the tip of the knife.
- Apple vinegar. Acetic acid helps with heartburn. Dissolve a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 0.5 cups of boiled water and drink before a meal.
- . Crush the anise seeds in a mortar, cover with a liter of vodka and keep in a dark place for one month. After the time, add 300 grams of sugar and a little cinnamon, stir. Use after a meal in a liqueur glass.
- Infusion of mint. A teaspoon of grass, pour a glass of boiling water over it.In the resulting drink, add a little apple juice. Useful and tasty nectar will help to cope with heartburn.
- Arable land. Two spoons of dry raw material, pour a glass of boiling water, wait half an hour and strain. Accept means on 0.5 glasses three times a day. Course duration - 60 days.
- White birch. Ash from white birch bark will help to cope with frequent heartburn. Take a folk remedy for 0.5 small spoon, washed down with warm water.
- Medical fee. The millennial, swamp lobster and St. John's wort mix in equal quantities. Three spoons of the resulting collection pour a liter of boiling water and strain after 2 hours. Take 4 times a day for 0.5 cup.
If the pain appeared suddenly, there is no pharmacy nearby and it is impossible to make the drug, water will come to the rescue. With acid reflux, drink mineral water at room temperature. It will dilute the stomach acid and make it easier.
Heartburn Pills and Drugs
People who do not trust traditional medicine, devote the next part of the article. In it, I will talk about drugs offered by official medicine. There are many of them, the assortment is expanding regularly, and making the right choice is problematic.
Some drugs are focused on eliminating the causes of heartburn - diseases that caused pain. Sometimes unpleasant burning sensation in the chest and mouth appears when there is no disease. How to be?
In this case, drugs that reduce the acidity of gastric juice come to the rescue. Among them are Renny, Gastal and Maalox. Also sold drugs that slow down the process of production of gastric acid - Omez, Ranitidine and Omeprazole.
The products are sold without a prescription. Therefore, before applying, I recommend that you definitely study the instructions, because violation of the rules of admission is fraught with unpleasant consequences.
Now consider one popular medicine from each category and give instructions for use.
How to take Rennie for heartburn
Rennie comes to the rescue when a diet supplemented with the correct regimen does not provide the desired result. The drug neutralizes excess acid in the stomach, resulting in protection of the mucous membrane.
A single dose of Renny is 1-2 tablets. The pills are kept in the mouth until dissolved or chewed.If the dose was ineffective, after 3 hours it is recommended to repeat the reception. The maximum daily dose is limited to 16 tablets, provided that this amount is approved by a doctor.
The drug is allowed to give children from 12 years. To solve the problem in younger children, Rennie is rarely used after the examination and appointment of a doctor.
The drug has side effects - an allergic reaction, deterioration in people with renal insufficiency, increased production of gastric juice, if the drug is used in large quantities. As for contraindications, their list is represented by individual intolerance to Rennie's components, impaired kidney function, myasthenia, and high calcium in the body.
To combat single heartburn, omeprazole is not recommended. If the correction of lifestyle and nutrition did not produce a result, and the burning sensation does not pass, it is better to consult a doctor and get tested for the detection of tumors. Self-medication is dangerous because the drug makes the oncological picture blur.
When buying omeprazole, consider the dosage.Therapeutic dose is 40 mg. For prophylactic purposes, take 20 mg. Take capsules in the morning and evening before meals. If low doses are characterized by ineffectiveness, the dosage is increased under the supervision of a physician. Depending on the specific case, the drug is taken from two weeks to two months. After taking hormonal and nonsteroidal drugs, omeprazole is taken no more than two decades.
Contraindications to the reception of funds - lactation, pregnancy, sensitivity to the components, renal failure, age under 16 years. As for side effects, it is abdominal pain, drowsiness, nausea, intestinal upset, pain in muscles and joints. Very rarely, taking the medication leads to general malaise, visual impairment, and swelling.
What helps for heartburn during pregnancy
Burning sensation behind the sternum is familiar to everyone. Usually the cause of the phenomenon is poor nutrition, overweight, bad habits, salty or spicy foods. But pregnant women often face this unpleasant and painful sensation. What is the reason?
When a girl is pregnant, the amount of progesterone increases.Excess hormone leads to relaxation of smooth muscles. In addition, the pressure on the organs and muscles on the part of the growing fetus increases. As a result, the capacity of the gastric valves to contain the load decreases. Together with the development of the fetus in the digestive system of a woman, the amount of acid increases. Its excess leads to frequent releases into the esophagus. How to be?
The occurrence of heartburn in the first trimester is the merit of improper nutrition. Discomfort and burning sensation in the chest and throat appears after eating fatty, spicy and fried foods. It makes sense to contact a doctor if the discomfort is prolonged and is accompanied by an unpleasant belching.
To at the early gestation of pregnancy worried about heartburn, reconsider the diet. Do not overeat. Eat more often, but in small portions, chewing food thoroughly. Eat a few hours before bedtime, preferring steamed food. Include in the diet more dairy products, stewed vegetables and lean meat.
During this period, heartburn is most often caused by overeating.Due to the increase in the uterus increases intra-abdominal pressure, which contributes to the difficulty of the digestive processes. In the second trimester, it is recommended to reduce the amount of food consumed so as not to overload the stomach.
To eliminate the problem, divide the daily amount of food into 6 receptions. If you cannot cope with heartburn without medication, consult your doctor.
In late pregnancy, heartburn causes pelvic location of the child. This is due to the pressure of the fetus on the diaphragm. According to doctors, severe heartburn is a precursor to a large fruit, twins or triplets.
At the final stage of pregnancy to solve the problem through the diet will not work. The fight against heartburn is reduced to taking medications that provide an enveloping effect, are not absorbed into the blood and do not disturb the acid-base balance. Among such drugs are Maalox, Renny, Gaviscon, Gastal and others.
If you do not want to take medications, traditional medicine will help. During pregnancy, it is allowed to use tinctures of the centaury, calamus and other herbs. In any of the cases, consultation with a doctor is required.
I advise you to start the fight with the people's means. If they do not help, switch to medication. Remember, the causes of heartburn during pregnancy, after birth pass. At the same time, the problem itself does not cause the child any discomfort. But if after the long-awaited moment the burning does not go away, take a look at the gastroenterologist.
People suffering from heartburn are very interested in nutrition issues. What to eat? What foods provoke chest discomfort? How to use a diet to avoid aggravation? Practice shows that some foods really aggravate the ailment, others are safe, and still others are beneficial.
Nutritionists have compiled a list of recommendations regarding nutrition and diet for heartburn at home. I advise you to use them as a starting point. It also does not hurt to keep a diary and record the effects on the body of certain products. This will help in creating a menu that will facilitate a quick recovery.
- Eat often and in small portions.. This approach will help prevent excessive production of gastric acid. Do not rush during the meal.To slow down the absorption of food, lower the cutlery on the table between bites.
- Full stomach and sleep are disparate things. Eat 3 hours before you go to bed. Sleep on your left side and on a high pillow. Thanks to this technique, forget about a night heartburn.
- Avoid foods that cause heartburn.. Most often, the problem is caused by fatty and spicy foods, chocolate, alcohol, coffee, ketchups and sauces, citrus fruits, and natural juices. This is the average data. That is why it is important to keep a diary.
- Give up cigarettes. Nicotine adversely affects the performance of the muscle that controls the hole between the stomach and the esophagus. As a result, it does not cope with the task of preventing the release of acidic contents into the esophagus.
- Obesity significantly aggravates the symptoms.. Fight with excessive kilograms. Chew the cud before eating. Chewing increases the production of saliva, which neutralizes excess gastric acid.
- Use warm liquid. A glass of herbal tea, drunk at the end of the meal, will help the stomach in dissolving the acid. Suitable and ordinary water. The main thing is that a single dose of fluid was moderate.
- Avoid stressful situations and exercise.Exercise on an empty stomach.
In conclusion, I will list the products, the use of which at home is welcomed by dietitians for heartburn. These are sweet apples, lean meat, fish, bananas, low-fat dairy products, vegetables.
Causes and consequences of heartburn
With heartburn, gastric juice rises from the stomach into the esophagus, resulting in a burning sensation that brings discomfort. Sometimes absolutely healthy people face the problem, often it shows the presence of a more serious disease. In any case, it is impossible to remain inactive, otherwise serious consequences cannot be avoided.
Causes of Heartburn
To solve the problem and not to harm the body, determine the cause of its occurrence. What causes heartburn?
- Attenuating the sphincter.
- Binge eating.
- Abuse of salted, smoked, fatty or fried foods.
- Smoking, excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages, strong tea, coffee.
- Diseases of the digestive system - cholecystitis, ulcer, gastritis.
- Food before bed.
- Sports after meals.
- Snacks and sushi.
- Eating spicy, hot or cold foods.
- Wearing tight belts and belts.
If heartburn appears constantly, be sure to go to the doctor. Inaction or treatment "blindly" will not bring benefit. Perhaps the problem is caused by improper daily routine and power failures. Then it is easy to solve. But it is possible that the burning sensation is a herald of an intensively developing ailment, which is not even suspected.
Constantly appearing heartburn is an unpleasant thing, and it's not just about discomfort. The consequences of the phenomenon are incredibly dangerous because of the constant aggressive impact of the acidic environment on the esophagus.
Often, heartburn occurs along with other symptoms. In addition to burning in the oral cavity, there is a bitter or sour taste. And the presence of weakness, fatigue, vomiting, poor appetite, stools with blood impurities - a signal of the need for urgent medical care.
Prolonged course or lack of proper treatment is fraught with the development of serious pathologies, including narrowing of the stricture, esophagus ulcer, Barrett's syndrome, cancer. Such problems not only worsen the quality of life, but are also fraught with a fatal outcome.Therefore, with frequent recurrences of heartburn, contact the clinic. Do not wait for the appearance of complications.