How to finish the walls?
Watch the video
The walls are the most conspicuous part of any dwelling, therefore, particular attention is paid to the finishing of walls during repairs. Modern building technologies allow to finish the walls in a variety of ways: they can be painted, covered with wallpaper, covered with plastic or wooden panels, ceramic tiles or special decorative plaster. More details about the options for finishing walls are described in our article How to decorate walls. But not even the most modern high-tech finishing material will hide such pronounced wall defects as cracks, strong irregularities or noticeable deviations from the vertical. Therefore, no matter what kind of finishing material will be used in the future, the walls during the repair should first be subjected to preliminary roughing.
How to finish the walls
Finishing of the walls begins after installation, inspection or replacement of all intra-wall communications - hidden electrical wiring, heating pipes, gas supply, etc.The rough finish of the walls can be done in two ways - the classic, the so-called �raw� or more modern, �dry� way. In the �raw� method, plaster made from ready-made building mixtures is used to level the walls, which are diluted with water in the required proportions.
How to finish the walls with plaster
- Using a large steel spatula, the walls are cleaned of old paint, wallpaper, and peeling plaster.
- To improve the adhesion of fresh plaster to the walls they are carefully primed with a special primer. Apply it with a large brush or paint roller.
- When the primer is dry, horizontal and vertical deviations of the wall from the norm are measured with a long level of construction and plumb.
- Aligning these deviations in the right places, special beacons are fastened to the walls with a small amount of alabaster - a long and narrow aluminum profile.
- After installing the lighthouses, they begin to apply cooked plaster on the walls. They make it long (up to 2 m) with a special spatula, the ends of which slide along the beacons like on rails.
- When the plaster is applied to all the walls, they wait several days for it to completely harden.
- Then a thin layer of putty is applied to it and carefully smoothed it out.
- When the putty dries, it is manually polished with a special plaster grater.
- After all these works have been completed, the walls in the room are completely ready for final finishing - they can be painted, they can be glued with wallpaper or tile.
With the �dry� method of finishing the walls are leveled by installing large sheets of drywall on them.
How to finish the walls with drywall
- In this case, there is no need to pre-thoroughly clean and prime the walls, since the sheets of drywall are mounted on the batten -special frame mounted on the walls.
- Such a frame is made of a building profile, which is fixed to the walls, floor and ceiling with the help of metal brackets, long screws and dowels.
- After collecting the frame, drywall sheets are attached to it with self-tapping screws.
- Next, close up the seams of the joints between the individual sheets - they are carefully glued with a narrow paint net and putty.
- After that, a thin layer of finishing putty is applied to all walls and after hardening they grind it.
- Now you can apply any final finish to the walls.
To decorate the walls in the kitchen or bathroom can be even easier, namely - sheathe their plastic panels. This method is good because it allows you to avoid time-consuming work on the rough finish of the walls. Plastic panels reliably hide all minor defects of the walls and give them an elegant appearance.