How to determine the age of the dog?
You got a four-legged friend whose age you do not know for some reason, although you need to know, of course, at least approximately. Do not be discouraged - there are many ways that give a fairly accurate answer to the question of how to determine the age of a dog? Let us dwell on some. To which resorted more than others.
How to know the age of the dog
First, the animal's muscle tone will tell about it. A well-developed musculature can be boasted by a young active dog. The elderly dog prefers for the most part a relaxed lifestyle, which gives out either its weight loss due to muscle atrophy, or obesity due to body fat. Next, we pay attention to the wool: in a young dog, it is usually silky and soft, with age, the coat becomes coarser, more rigid, and sometimes oily. It is observed graying, first of all - around the muzzle. "Issue" the age of the dog and the eyes. Deprived of discharge and tears, brilliant clear eyes clearly indicate the young dog. The old dog's eyes are opaque, dull.
When examining the teeth, the first thing to notice is the change of milk teeth, as well as the wear of the canines and incisors.
- 18-25 days - Milk incisors begin to erupt; a month a dog growls already with all front milk teeth.
- 4-5 months - on both jaws, the milk incisors change to permanent ones.
- 5-6 months - change fangs.
- 7 months - the growth of all permanent teeth is completed.
- 1 year - the achievement of normal levels by the teeth, the cutting surface of the incisors takes the form of a trefoil.
- 2 years - the lower jaw hooks are erased, erasing of the medium begins.
- 3 years - complete erasure of the middle incisors of the lower jaw, the beginning of erasing the upper jaw hooks.
- 4 years - complete erasing of hooks and the beginning of erasing the incisors of the upper jaw.
- 5 years - on the lower jaw, wiped edges, the beginning of erasing fangs are erased.
- 6 years old - on the upper jaw, wiped out okras, blunt fangs.
- 7 years - on the lower jaw the hooks acquire an oval-inverse shape.
- 8 years - the same incisors acquire the same shape.
- 9 years old - the same form is characteristic for the upper jaw hooks.
- 10-12 years - the beginning of tooth loss. The first fall of the lower jaw hooks, then - the upper.
The threshold of old age significantly depends on the breed of pet. The main rule: a large dog is aging earlier and its rate of aging is higher. So the five year old Great Dane is considered to be already elderly, while some poodle retains vigor and vigor even at the age of 10 years. However, it is not necessary to link the solid dog age directly with the inevitable diseases and the imminent extinction. Quite often, an elderly dog leads a full, measured life, while remaining active and healthy. The best way to extend the life of a smaller brother, as well as to improve its quality, is the manifestation of due attention to the nutrition of the dog. An aged dog (like a man) requires a special diet consisting of easily digestible and high-quality products.
"Human" dog age
Often they try to determine the age of a dog by human standards, but they do not always do it right. Below is the corresponding table.
The ratio of the age of the dog and man:
|2 months||14 months|