How to cook homemade dried tomatoes?
Sun-dried tomatoes - an unusual, aromatic, appetizing and savory snack, which is especially popular in Italy. But to try it, do not necessarily go to this country or to a store, such tomatoes can be cooked at home with their own hands.
What tomatoes to use?
First of all, you need to pick the right tomatoes. They must be dense, small and have fleshy flesh. Juicy varieties do not fit, because in the process of drying from them virtually nothing remains. It is important to choose and use only ripe and sweet tomatoes, because after drying, their taste will change somewhat, and the sweetness will decrease slightly.
How to fuss?
Make sun dried tomatoes in various ways:
- The easiest and relatively quick option - dry in the oven. This method involves prolonged languor at low temperatures. Usually the process takes 7-8 hours, and the oven warms up to 60-70 degrees.At a higher temperature (preferably not more than 100-120 degrees) tomatoes will dry much faster.
- Drying in the microwave oven will be appreciated by those who have such a device and who do not know how or do not like to use the oven. The duration of the cooking process depends on the power of the device. If you set the maximum, the tomatoes will be ready in 20-30 minutes. But it is better to check them periodically in order to not overdry.
- In the dryer. Such a device is used for drying fruits, berries and vegetables, and it is ideal for drying tomatoes. For example, at 70 degrees, tomatoes will last for 6 or 7 hours.
- In the sun. This method was used before in sunny Italy, and the snack was very aromatic. But the process is not easy and time-consuming. First, a tray of vegetables should be placed in a well-ventilated place outdoors. Secondly, tomatoes need to be covered, otherwise various insects will “attempt” on them. Thirdly, for several days should be warm and sunny weather. For the night, it's better to clean the tomatoes.
How to cook sun-dried tomatoes at home? We offer several interesting options.
Option number 1
For cooking you will need:
- 10 tomatoes;
- about a teaspoon of salt;
- three or four cloves of garlic;
- two tablespoons of sugar;
- two or three art. spoons of olive oil;
- First you need to wash the tomatoes and cut them into halves.
- Next, coat them with salt and sugar, sprinkle with oil and leave for an hour or two.
- Garlic must be cleaned and chopped in any way.
- Place the tomatoes on a greased baking sheet, pour them with the remaining butter, sprinkle with garlic and rosemary.
- Send the tomatoes to fall at 70-80 degrees in a dryer or oven for several hours.
Option number 2
This recipe assumes the use of the following ingredients:
- 1500-1700 grams of fresh tomatoes;
- sea or ordinary coarse salt (determine the amount yourself, based on your taste);
- a pinch of a mixture of peppers (can be used separately ground red or black pepper);
- a mixture of Italian herbs (or your favorite seasonings);
- olive or refined vegetable oil.
- Wash tomatoes, remove cores.
- Cover baking sheet or pan with baking paper and place tomatoes on it. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Next, sprinkle each piece or using a cooking brush to smear with oil. Sprinkle herbs on top.
- Send the baking tray to an oven preheated to 100 degrees for four to five hours.
Option number 3
- 1.5 kg of tomatoes;
- three sprigs of basil;
- olive oil;
- garlic (the amount of your taste);
- tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- Prepare the tomatoes: wash them, remove the cores, cut the fruit.
- Garlic must be cleaned and chopped, for example, skipped through a press.
- Next, prepare a kind of marinade, mixing oil, salt, vinegar and chopped garlic.
- Immerse the tomatoes in the marinade or coat each slice.
- Place the vegetables in the oven (on a tray or baking tray) or in a dryer, sow until ready.
How to store?
There are several ways to store dried tomatoes:
- Tomatoes can be stored in oil for quite a long time, because such a product is a natural preservative. But it is desirable to clean the container in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
- You can prepare tomatoes for the winter. To do this, sterilize the jar, fill it with oil, put the tomatoes and roll them.
- Use vacuum packaging, it also perfectly preserves the properties of products.
- Dried tomatoes, like dried fruits, can be placed in a dense fabric (for example, canvas) bag and stored in a well-ventilated and cool room, for example, in a cellar.
How to use?
Sun dried tomatoes are a wonderful independent snack. But they can also be used in a different way, for example, in soups or side dishes, in pizza or pasta, in various meat, fish and vegetable dishes, and so on. In addition, these tomatoes can be used as a flavored or flavoring agent.
Note for experienced and novice hostesses:
- For drying and storing, it is best to use either extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, but without fail, refined and deodorized, so that the tomatoes retain their natural aroma.
- Normal salt can be replaced with sea salt, its crystals are rather large and do not dissolve completely, so you don’t get too much salt.
- To give the tomatoes a unique pleasant aroma, you can use a variety of spices and herbs. But if you took fresh, it is better to grind them and add to the oil. But dried herbs can sprinkle the tomatoes themselves.
- Control the degree of curing, it will affect the texture of the snack and its taste. So, the longer the drying, the more dry the tomatoes will turn out, and the more saturated their taste will be.A short drying will keep a delicate texture and make the snack easier.
- If the skin is too dense, then it can be removed beforehand, after pouring boiling water over tomatoes. But in this case, the evaporation of the juice will be more rapid, and the fruits after drying will be small.
- To achieve a perfect snack texture and speed up the curing process, you can cut the vegetables into halves or quarters, as well as remove excess juice and seeds.
You will see: dried tomatoes conquer any gourmet!