How to alter the jacket?
It often happens that a person has lost several sizes, and cannot part with his favorite things. In addition, some wardrobe items can be quite expensive and their replacement will cost you a lot of money. For example, if your leather jacket is great for you, it is easier to take it off than to buy a new one.
Before shortening the jacket, prepare all the necessary materials: rubber glue, which should be used to treat seams and non-woven skin. You should also purchase and install a special needle and leather foot on the sewing machine. In order to not tear the leather product in the stitching places, it is necessary to set the needle pitch more than 3 mm.
How to alter an old leather jacket?
If you have not previously sewed and have no idea how this is done, then it is better to contact a sewing workshop, since the risk of damage to the item is large enough. But if you are willing to take the risk, then you can proceed to remaking the jacket:
- First you need to carefully separate all glued seams from the jacket.
- Now mark with a ballpoint pen or felt-tip pen the places where the product will be sewn.
- Next, leave the seam allowances of 10-15 millimeters and cut off the excess skin with a cutting knife or scalpel.
- Now you can connect the edges of the product with adhesive tape, and glue the bottom using adhesive tape.
- To reduce the thickness of the material, the seams must be repulsed with a wooden hammer.
- Further it is necessary to lay a line strictly on the marking put earlier.
- Bend the seams and re-glue them using rubber glue and a press, which you can use as a cold iron.
In addition, to sew a new model of the jacket of the old can be on the same principle as described above. Only first you need to place the product on a flat surface and pin it, then split it into separate parts and smooth it. Next, you cut out the new parts from the old ones and sew them. Particular attention should be paid to the corners and the accuracy of the stitching.