5 ways to cook eggs
The first thing to start with is choosing.
When choosing eggs in a supermarket, you should not focus on the price tag and especially on the type of packaging. Those that are more expensive will not necessarily be fresher and better. Large, selected eggs of the highest category (CO) are packaged in branded craft, and the price for them is appropriate, only there are no more benefits in them than in the smallest eggs of the first category (C1, C2).
Where is the truth?
The nutritional value of eggs depends on the diet of chickens. I am sure that I will not open America to anyone if I say that the most delicious and healthy eggs are borne by chickens, who know neither antibiotics nor mixed fodders.
However, if you don’t have a private farm near you and you don’t grow chickens on your balcony, feel free to carefully check the quality of the contents of the box for cracks and dark spots on the shell; second, do not buy ads. The freshest, tasty eggs come on counters from private farms and some local poultry farms, and they do not spend on beautiful slogans on packing their money.
By the way, here's another interesting fact for thosewho does not know: different breeds of chickens carry different colors of eggs, and therefore, the color of the shell does not at all affect the taste and nutritional value of the product. But the size of the eggs is important. Small, most likely, belonged to young hens, large - those who are older. And here it is logical to assume that there are more useful properties in the small ones.
Rules for storing eggs
To keep the eggs fresh for as long as possible, it’s not at all necessary to buy a special egg holder, because the best storage for them is already included. The box in which you bought the eggs is not only for the compact arrangement of the “dozens” in the refrigerated display case of the supermarket, but also for the storage of eggs at home, because:
- prevents external damage to eggs;
- prevents sticking of any dirt (the porous structure of the shell instantly absorbs extraneous odors, so it is better to keep eggs separate from other products, and you can wipe the pores in the shell by wiping it with vegetable oil);
- keeps the eggs in the correct position, namely the pointed end down. In this position, the yolk will be in the center and will not touch the air layer located at the blunt end.In this position, the eggs should be stored on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - where the temperature is lowest. There is almost no cold in the well-thought-out door for the storage of eggs in the refrigerator manufacturer, which is why there will be no more eggs for more than a week in the freshness of the eggs, whereas downstairs - up to two months.
KNOW-HOW: how to quickly break an egg
Contrary to popular belief, the best way to break an egg without damaging its nutritional content is not to hit the edge of the pan or cup at all with a knife. Using these methods, you risk getting pieces of shell in an omelette and deforming the yolk, and we will need it whole. The best way to break an egg is to lightly hit them on the surface of the table, after which, recalling childhood, open the shell with your fingers, like a plastic kinder surprise.
Easier steamed turnip
It is difficult to say that it is faster and easier to boil an egg, fry, bake or beat into a lush omelet. And even harder to understand what you want more. Everything basically cooks equally fast.
Perhaps, I will destroy one more culinary myth. In order to get the maximum benefit from eggs, it is IMPORTANT to cook them at surprisingly low temperatures - 63–74 degrees.Otherwise, be prepared to chew rubber scrambled eggs. So turn down the fire first and then break the eggs into the pan.
It is interesting to ask how you cook scrambled eggs? In a hurry, you plop an egg right into a frying-up frying-pan, cover it with a lid so that it doesn’t splash everything around with hot fat, and then tear off the sticking eyeless white from the frying pan, right ?!
I hasten to wean you.
In order to cook perfectly fried eggs, you need:
- Add no more than one tablespoon of oil (ideally creamy, including gi, or coconut) or a drop of water if you have a fancy nonstick frying pan.
- The above method of breaking the egg in a small bowl or glass and only then move it to the pan.
- At this stage, you can pepper and salt as desired.
- Depending on the desired degree of hardness of the yolk should be 2–4 minutes.
Hard boiled eggs
- Fold the eggs to the bottom of the pan so that they do not touch, otherwise cracking and spilled protein cannot be avoided.
- Fill it with water at room temperature with an extra height of about 2.5 cm. If any of the eggs pops up, remove and discard it: it is likely to have already spoiled or is about to deteriorate.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat and leave under cover for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the eggs from the pan, and put them in a container prepared in advance with cold (not at room temperature, but really cold) water, and put in the refrigerator until it cools completely.
KNOW-HOW: how to quickly clean an egg
In order to clean a hard-boiled egg without suffering, press down the cooled egg as above to the surface of the table and roll between the palms so that the shell cracks across the entire surface. Finger to pick up the largest piece of shell and clean everything. Hard-boiled eggs can be stored in the refrigerator for a week.
Do not want a hard boiled, then remove the egg from the pan after 3-6 minutes after boiling water and eat soft-boiled.
These are eggs scalded with boiling water (translated from French oeufs pochés). This method of preparation allows you to get wrapped with protein petals tender, creamy yolk.
- Fill the saucepan with cold water and set it to warm.
- Carefully break the egg into a separate container.
- As soon as the water begins to boil, reduce the heat, salt it if desired, and add 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar.
- With a tablespoon or spatula, untwist the water so that a funnel is formed.
- As soon as everything works out, sharply pour the egg inside the funnel. If you have done everything in fengshui, then at this stage the yolk will already turn into egg whites, and you will only have to boil the egg in hot, but not boiling water for about 3-4 minutes; if not, scroll a couple more times with a spoon. Carefully extract the already prepared poached egg from the skillet, dip it in a bowl with cool water to wash off the vinegar flavor. Let the egg dry out and enjoy your meal!
An alternative recipe for how to cook poached egg
If this cooking method seems too complicated to you, I suggest my version:
- Fill the saucepan with cold water and set it to warm.
- Cut a small piece of cling film and pull it loosely on a pan or glass. Make a small indentation, drip a little olive oil, beat the egg into it and tie the ends of the film so that the egg is in the bag.
- As soon as the water begins to boil, reduce the heat, lower the bag with the egg into the water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- After removing the egg from the pan, immediately immerse it in cold water, otherwise it will continue to boil.
- Cut the bundle and gently separate the egg from the film using a tablespoon.
The most satisfying and multifaceted dish. In general, if you believe the stories, French farmers were the first to start frying eggs with milk on a skillet. And of course, this idea was picked up by their neighbors. Thus, tortilla, frittata and a dozen more options on the subject were born.
Classic French Omelette
The main rule of the dish: eggs are whipped with a small amount of milk very carefully.
- Suppose we take 4 eggs + 2 teaspoons of milk and beat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan and, as soon as it stops foaming, gently pour in the beaten eggs.
- As soon as the scrambled eggs grab around the edges, start rocking the pan in a circle to give the omelet the correct shape.
- One minute until fully cooked, distribute the grated cheese on one half of the omelet and cover the cheese half with the other. Turn off the heat and leave the dish to languish under the lid for another half a minute.
Spanish omelette (tortilla)
- 4-5 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp. spoons of olive oil
- salt / ground pepper to taste
- We clean the vegetables and cut them thin.
- Heat the frying pan with vegetable oil and fry our slices quickly (10–15 minutes), so that the onions and potatoes get a light tan (at this stage you can add salt if you want).Cooling down.
- Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper, add the fried vegetables and mix well.
- Add some oil to another pan, pour the egg-vegetable mass and cook for about 6 minutes on medium heat so that the omelet will not burn from below.
- Cover the pan with a plate, turn it upside down, and then again - on the other side, respectively, return the omelet to the pan and cook about 4 more minutes.
Italian omelet (frittata)
- 2 tbsp. spoons of olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/3 cup ricotta or other cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar or gruyere
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of fresh herbs optional for decoration
- salt / ground pepper to taste
- Beat eggs with ricotta.
- The garlic clove is cut in half and fried until golden brown.
- Garlic remove and pour in beaten eggs.
- We sprinkle eggs evenly with grated cheddar and mozzarella, salt and pepper and send to the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Decorate with greens, such as parsley, when serving.
If you want to remember your childhood and finally find out what the secret of the “school omelet” was and how to cook shaksuku at home, write in the comments - we will shoot the video and tell all the secrets!